Intravenous therapy is a common sight in hospitals for treating patients who cannot eat on their own because of their illness or because they are too dehydrated. This method of treatment works efficiently in delivering nutrients to the body directly to the bloodstream for the effects to be felt faster compared to having to go through the digestive process.
The use of IV therapy gained traction at the start of the year thanks to advancement in therapies which allow its use to rehydrate the body, correct vitamin deficiencies, and even improve your overall health and wellness. But what exactly is an IV therapy?
What is IV Therapy?
In IV therapy, you will be receiving a higher dose of vitamins directed into the bloodstream. Vitamins that are taken orally will have to be broken down in the digestive system before being absorbed into the bloodstream where only half is actually used. In the case of IV therapy, your body is absorbing more since it will not have to be broken down before being released into the bloodstream.
There are many factors that can affect how vitamins are absorbed in the body such as age, current state of your health, metabolism, as well as genetics, just to name a few. With higher levels of vitamins as well as minerals entering your bloodstream and more being absorbed into the cells, they will be used in a more efficient manner to combat illnesses in order to maintain our overall health.
Benefits of IV Therapy
You’re probably wondering why people are going crazy over the use of IV therapies lately. Well, it seems that there are several benefits associated with this method of taking vitamins and minerals in the body. Here are a few that you might want to take note of.
- Increase energy levels. The use of IV therapy has been found to help treat those who are suffering from anxiety, respiratory illnesses, chronic fatigue, and depression even. What it does is to enhance your immune system to help raise your energy levels so you will feel refreshed.
- Less intake of pills. Another possible benefit to using IV therapy is that it can help reduce your need for supplements because you can customize your IV treatments based on your current condition. Your doctor may provide you with an IV treatment that will treat your ailment and give you a plan on how often you will need the therapy.
- Improve recovery period for athletes. Athletes as well as gym goers often feel tired after an intense workout including muscle spasms and extreme exhaustion. This can cause their recovery time to become longer. The use of IV therapy by athletes helps speed up their recovery time with the infusion of vitamins and minerals in their system. Another plus to using IV treatments is that they replenish lost liquids in the body due to sweating.
- Preventive therapy. Another benefit that is associated with IV therapy is that it can be used as a preventive therapy. Getting healthy doses of vitamin C has been found to prevent cancer cells from forming, plus this vitamin can improve your immunity too. Regular therapy can actually prevent chronic illnesses from happening as well as migraines and respiratory issues.
- Better absorption of vitamins. There are some treatments and even certain illness that can prevent vitamin absorption. Getting IV therapy can ensure that vitamins are absorbed immediately into the bloodstream in order for the body to utilize their benefits to improve your overall health.
- Fast treatment. You don’t have to wait for a long time for an IV therapy to finish as each treatment can last up to an hour or less. You won’t even be in a hospital setting too since IV treatments can be done in specialty clinics where the environment is more comfortable and relaxed.
- Immediate effects. The vitamins and minerals that are present in our food will take a while before we feel their effects as they need to be digested first. In IV therapy, you will feel its effects quickly, with your energy levels gong up after a few hours. You will even feel your mood becoming better as the treatment takes effect.
- Fights toxins in the environment. We are constantly exposed to toxins which can affect not only our health, but also our physical appearance. IV therapy can help provide your body with antioxidants to combat premature aging and to flush any toxins that are lingering in your system in a more effective manner.
- Customized therapy. Like it was mentioned before, you can get customized therapy based your health needs. If you are dealing with fatigue, muscle spasms, allergies, and the like, you can get IV therapy with vitamins B, C, magnesium, and calcium even. You will need to talk to your doctor on what the appropriate treatment is ideal for you.
Risks of IV Therapy
There are some risks that you should take note of too if you are planning on getting an IV therapy such as bleeding and localized bruising. Also, there is a risk of getting infected because of the use of needles. Regular use of IVs on the same vein can lead to sclerosis or hardening of the blood vessel with the possibility of inflammation. Keep in mind that the FDA or Food and Drug Administration doesn’t monitor these IV supplements which can also pose a health risk.