We all have experienced the occasional aches and pains after doing an intense workout. Although this is part of your fitness training, regardless if you are a runner or a weight lifter, the goal here is to recover faster to lessen the hurt that you are feeling. Apart from dealing with muscle fatigue as well as throbbing pain, recovering faster lets you exercise more so you can develop your muscles and increase strength.
The question now is, how will you be able to recover faster?
- Eat more protein. Many of us don’t get enough protein in our system so if you want to recover faster, eat a light protein rich snack before going to bed. The protein in your snack will help your body keep on repairing itself while you’re asleep.
- Don’t be afraid of carbs. Aside from protein, you should also incorporate carbohydrates into your post-workout snack. The amount of carbs that you should be eating should be around 20 to 30% of your total consumption to boost muscle repair. It is also better to incorporate about 20 to 25 grams of protein to your post-workout meal as well to ensure faster healing.
- Have some chocolate milk. If you need a fast post-workout snack to bring with you, go for chocolate milk. This drink will help replenish your lost energy while at the same time, kick start your muscle recovery. The carbs present in this beverage will also speed up the time it takes for your body to become ready for your next round of exercise.
- Drink more water. Another trick to boosting recovery is to drink more water. The problem with doing intense training is that we tend to forget to sip water occasionally. This causes dehydration on our part which causes our muscles to become sore and recovery slow. By drinking more water, you are helping replace the lost electrolytes in your body while at the same time boost your body’s ability to heal itself. Although drinking sports drink can replace your electrolytes, water, on its own, can do the work too.
- Foam roll. Fitness experts recommend using foam roll to massage the muscles deep within your body. This will help lose any tension or stress in the muscles. The best thing about using foam rollers is that you can target those aches and pains that you are feeling so that they will repair faster and become more flexible afterwards. Using foam rollers 15 minutes a day can increase flexibility and will also prevent injuries when exercising.
- Have some tart cherry juice. If you’re feeling stiff and sore after you exercise, you should drink some tart cherry juice. Tart cherry juice can help reduce any inflammation in the body so that your muscles will be able to recuperate nicely. This is another option to consider if you want to reduce the pain while speeding up the healing process.
These post-workout recovery tips are guaranteed to help you heal faster so do try them out and see which one works best for you.