Do you love pomegranates for their taste and health benefits? Then there is no reason for you not to adore consuming pomegranate tea, which you can easily make from the peels of those yummy superfoods!
According to scientists, there’s a huge concentration of nutrients present in the peels of fruits. It’s for this reason why everyone is encouraged to consume fruits without peeling them, if possible. Doing such helps ensure that none of those beneficial nutrients have to end up wasted.
Unfortunately, it’s not all the time that the peels of fruits can be eaten without trouble, such as pomegranate peels. The good news is you may easily extract the nutrients they contain simply by turning them into tea!
You are not going to have a difficult time whipping up a cup of freshly-brewed pomegranate peel tea as it’s something that can be prepared in advance. With an airtight container of pomegranate peel tea powder within your easy reach, coming up with a refreshing cup of pomegranate peel tea can be hassle-free.
Each time you eat pomegranates, simply wash the peels in running water thoroughly. Afterwards, place them in a freezer-safe container and then keep in the freezer. This allows you to accumulate lots of pomegranate peels which can be turned into powdered pomegranate peel tea all at the same time.
So how do you turn those frozen pomegranate peels into tea? Here are the steps:
• Take those pomegranate peels out of the freezer and allow them to thaw.
• Afterwards, neatly arrange them on a large tray. Cover with a piece of fine mesh and place under the sun for several hours. Wait for those peels to become dry and crisp.
• Got a dehydrator? Feel free to use this nifty kitchen tool for drying fruits and vegetables. You may also slow-cook those pomegranate peels in the over that’s set at 150ºF until they are ready to get pulverized.
• Once completely dry and crisp, break pomegranate peels into smaller pieces using your fingers.
• For pulverizing pomegranate peels, you may use a blender or coffee grinder. No matter the tool of your choice, make sure that you pulverize a small batch at a time for consistency.
• Once you have pulverized everything, transfer to an airtight container. Store it in the refrigerator to make your homemade pomegranate peel tea powder last for a long time.
That’s how trouble-free it is to make pomegranate peel tea powder that you can brew each time!
To make a cup of pomegranate peel tea, simply add a heaping teaspoon of your homemade pomegranate peel tea powder in a cup of hot water. Allow it to steep there for several minutes. Strain afterwards. To taste, you may add a little freshly-squeezed lemon juice or honey, preferably raw and organic.
So what are the perks of drinking pomegranate peel tea? Here are some of them:
It helps improve digestion.
A cup of pomegranate peel tea after every meal helps the stomach to carry out its job so much better, thereby saving you from indigestion and other related problems. You may also take a cup of pomegranate peel tea when you are having a bout of diarrhea to put an end to it.
It may reduce heart disease risk.
Thanks to the loads of antioxidants present in every cup of it, pomegranate peel tea may help keep at bay heart disease. This drink is known to help lower high blood pressure and bad cholesterol, thus saving the heart and the rest of the cardiovascular system from trouble.
It slows down the aging process.
Antioxidants found abundantly in pomegranate peel tea also helps delay the process of aging by neutralizing excess free radicals. Your skin can end up with a healthy and young-looking glow to it, and your joints can be saved from becoming achy and inflamed.
It may help keep cancer at bay.
Numerous studies have shown that certain compounds in pomegranate peel may actually help in lowering your risk of cancer, most especially skin cancer. You can obtain lots of those cancer-fighting compounds simply by turning pomegranate peels into a delightful-tasting tea!