It’s true that the taste of bitter melon is off-putting to so many people. However, it’s something that can be very beneficial to all. Numerous studies have suggested that bitter melon is superb at controlling blood sugar, and this is the reason why diabetics can tremendously benefit from its intake.
There are also so many studies indicating that certain compounds in bitter melon are capable of keeping in check the growth of certain malignant cells. In other words, bitter melon is something that can help keep cancer from striking as well as stop it from progressing.
Adding bitter melon to one’s diet to take advantage of its property to control the levels of sugar in the blood and prevent cancer is very easy. On the internet, you can find all sorts of recipes of healthy Asian dishes that include bitter melon as one of the ingredients. Usually, it’s sautéed and stir-fried.
One more popular way of taking bitter melon is by turning it into tea. Thanks to the incredible health benefits offered by bitter melon, you can easily get your hands on some bitter melon tea bags at your favorite herbal or health food store. Or you can simply come up with your very own bitter melon tea powder!
It’s a good idea to start making this powerful herbal tea out of 1 kilo of fresh bitter melons. As soon as you get the hang of things, feel free to turn a few kilos of bitter melons into tea. So don your apron and start making bitter melon tea by following the directions below:
• Thoroughly wash bitter melons under running water. It’s a good idea to scrub the surface with a soft sponge to make sure that all pesticides and impurities that may be present on the skin of the bitter melons are removed.
• Grab a knife and carefully slice bitter melons into halves lengthwise.
• Using a spoon, scrape off the fleshy parts as well as the seeds.
• Afterwards, reach for your knife once more and start slicing the deseeded bitter melons. The thinner the slices, the faster they will dry and the easier it will be for you to have them ground later on.
• Neatly arrange the slices of bitter melon on a large tray. To keep insects and dirt at bay, you may cover the slices of bitter melon with a small piece of mosquito net.
• Place the tray in direct sunlight to have those slices of bitter melon dried. After a few hours, flip them over in order to dry their other sides, too.
• It may take an entire day of even a couple of days for the slices of bitter melon to be completely dry, depending on the weather. You can tell that the slices of bitter melon are ready for grinding if they are already brittle.
• Take your coffee grinder or food processor out of its storage and then start grinding the dried bitter melon slices. Make sure to grind a handful of pieces only at a time.
• Place the ground bitter melon in an airtight container, which should then be stashed in a cool and dry place in your kitchen for longevity.
That’s how simple it is to come up with your own bitter melon tea powder! To make a serving, simply place a teaspoon of your homemade bitter melon tea powder in a cup of hot water. Allow it to steep for several minutes. Feel free to add a teaspoon of raw honey to make it taste better.
By the way, it’s a good idea to let your doctor know about your plan on drinking bitter melon tea on a regular basis. This is especially true if you are diagnosed with diabetes and you are currently taking drugs for it.
Sources: bethcelis.net and healthyeating.sfgate.