Products that are applied on the skin penetrate deep within and enter the bloodstream in as fast as 30 seconds. There are ingredients found in most sunscreen products that are identified to be linked to hormonal problems and cancer. In this article, we will discuss some all-natural remedies that will protect the skin from the sun’s UV rays.
There are about 2 million Americans diagnosed with skin cancer every year. Although people’s awareness have increased greatly in the past few years, and have started to wear sunscreen, the incidence rate of skin cancer is still growing worldwide.
The harmful effects of conventional sunscreen
According to a research conducted by the Environmental Working Group, traditional sunscreen causes the following problems:
- Some sunscreens over the counter contain toxic ingredients that are easily absorbed into the bloodstream
- Some ingredients are known to cause toxicity to the cells
- There are ingredients induce the release of free radicals when exposed to sunlight
- Certain ingredients function like estrogen and disrupt hormone production and overall function
The Food and Drug Administration has not yet formulated safety standards in the production of sunscreen ingredients. This skincare product hasn’t been regulated since 1978 in the United States.
Based on research studies, conventional sunscreen contain harmful chemicals such as methoxycinnamate, oxybenzone, and PABA- estrogenic chemicals that are linked to cancer.
Sun exposure does not cause cancer
The sun is important to building health and wellness. Without the sun, plants wouldn’t be able to grow and the immune system will surely breakdown from lack of Vitamin D3. This specific vitamin is crucial in developing a well functioning hormonal and immune system.
Vitamin D3 is proven to help boost immune system functioning, aids in fighting cancer development, and is a natural mood enhancer too.
Types of Sunscreens
There are basically two types of sunscreen namely mineral and non-mineral sunscreen, and there are also those that combine these two.
- deeply penetrates the skin
- disrupts the production of hormones
- releases free radicals once they are broken down
- irritating to the skin leading to allergic reactions
Oxybenzone is one of the most common ingredients found in sunscreens. Medical experts contraindicate the use of sunscreen that contains this chemical especially among children as it is known to cause hormonal issues. This is especially true among women who are suffering from hormonal imbalance.
- contains zinc and titanium
- do not breakdown upon exposure to sunlight
- absorbed by the body so they do not disrupt the body’s hormonal functioning
- more effective in blocking UV rays than non-mineral sunscreen
Mineral-based sunscreen lotions and sprays are best for children. They have excellent safety profiles and can be used on a regular basis.
Safety precautions when exposed to the sun
Do not let your skin get burned by prolonged exposure to sunlight. Make sure to have adequate exposure to sunlight as this activity is proven to decrease the risk of certain types of cancer.
- Allow 20 minutes of direct sunlight exposure on your skin.
- If you are going to be under the sun, wear light clothing.
- Do not use sunscreens that contain oxybenzone. According to research, this is a compound that disrupts hormone functioning.
- Replace chemical-based sunscreen that features zinc oxide-based sun blocks. These can have long-lasting protection without the unwanted harmful ingredients.
- Eat food items rich in antioxidants. Foods rich in vegetables, fruits, olive oil and dietary supplements containing Vitamins E and C as well as carotenoids have sun-protective benefits that can fight off oxidative damage.