It is said that the shoulder joint is the most complex joint there is in the human body. With various parts making it up and all sorts of movements that it is capable of making, it doesn’t come as a surprise why the shoulder joint is prone to winding up painful and inflamed, considerably diminishing its ability to be employed.
Lifting heavy shopping bags, mopping the floor, partaking in sports, working out at the gym — these and so many other activities that call for using the arms can leave your shoulder joint achy. Sometimes even something as simple as sleeping in a bad position can bring about such problem, too.
If you are bugged by shoulder pain, there are some simple exercises that you may carry out. They are designed to engage the various parts of your shoulder joint in ways that can help alleviate the achiness that you are experiencing. Some exercises that you may try doing at home or in the office include the following:
Grab a chair because this has to be done while you’re sitting up straight. The steps you need to do are as follows:
- Slowly bend your head forward. The goal is to bring your chin as close to your chest as possible.
- Stop as soon as you feel the muscles in the back of your neck being stretched.
- Gently, tilt your head to the left if it’s your right shoulder that is painful. If it’s your left shoulder that hurts, tilt your head to the right.
- Maintain the position for about a minute.
- Remember to take slow and deep breaths throughout.
- Repeat everything 3 to 5 times.
Extended Neck Bend
This exercise is an extension of the exercise above. While tilting your head to one side, do these steps:
- Slowly raise your arm where the affected shoulder is.
- As you raise it, gently pull it across your chest, your fingers pointed towards the other side of your body.
- Stop raising your arm when it’s already at shoulder level.
- Hold such position for about 30 seconds.
- Slowly take your arm back to the starting position. Do the same with your head.
- Do everything 3 to 5 times.
Are both of your shoulders bugging you? Then do the following steps in order for you to attain immediate relief:
- Sit up straight and put your knees together. Slowly, twist your upper body towards the left.
- As you do so, place your left hand on the outer aspect of your right upper leg.
- Also, slowly look to the right in order to stretch the muscles in your left shoulder.
- Hold this position for 10 to 15 seconds, taking slow, deep breaths throughout.
- Go back to the starting position. Rest for a couple of seconds, and then repeat on the other side.
- Try working out both sides 3 to 5 times.
Doing this exercise is beneficial for those whose both shoulders are achy. Here are the steps to perform:
- Reach for a hand towel, piece of rope, belt or anything that has a considerable length to it.
- While standing up straight, grasp the object behind the small of your back with both of your hands.
- Slowly expand your chest, thus drawing your shoulder blades closer towards one another.
- Point your chin towards the ceiling.
- Hold the position for 10 to 15 seconds as you take slow, deep breaths.
- Relax your chest, shoulders and head. Perform everything 3 to 5 times.
Remember to seek the help of your doctor if the pain you are experiencing doesn’t go away after several days of correctly performing these exercises as well as giving the affected shoulder plenty of rest and ice.