Selenium is an important mineral that can be found in various foods such as garlic, Brazil nuts, and sunflower seeds but the quantity of selenium depends on the amount of mineral found in the soil where these foods are grown. This mineral is also present in water and can be consumed through the seafood that we eat. However, although selenium is found in foods, there are still a lot of people who lack this essential vitamin.
But what exactly can you get out of selenium?
Here are some known benefits that you can reap from having this mineral in your system.
- It has antioxidant effects. Antioxidants are known to protect the body against free radicals that can put us at risk of acquiring chronic diseases. Selenium has the same effect as it helps boost thyroid and immune function. By combining selenium with other antioxidants, you are increasing your protection against harmful diseases.
- It has anti-aging properties. Another health benefit that is linked to selenium is that it can prevent premature aging. Like it was mentioned before, selenium is considered as an antioxidant that prevents free radicals from damaging the cells. This in turn, prevents signs of aging from appearing too soon plus it prevents cognitive decline as well.
- It promotes better immune system. Cancer cells are easily killed off from the body especially when there is sufficient amount of selenium present. It’s not just because selenium is an antioxidant but because it is designed to improve one’s immune system. Apart from cancer, a strong immune system can also provide protection against HIV as well as other infectious diseases.
- It supports cardiovascular health. When it comes to health benefits, selenium has been found to promote better cardiovascular health. Studies have shown that those who are suffering from heart problems have low selenium levels and when you combine this mineral with beta-carotene as well as vitamin E, your cholesterol levels become normal which in turn keeps your heart healthy and strong.
- It improves thyroid function. Another health benefit that you can reap from selenium is that it can help your thyroid do its work better. Compared to other organs in your body, your thyroid is the one that contains more selenium and has the ability to produce selenoproteins to combat viral infections, asthma, and promotes fertility.
- It detoxifies metal from the body. We all know that metals are one of the worst pollutants that our body tends to absorb on a daily basis. Too much of it can actually cause our health to deteriorate over time. This is quite alarming for some but not when you have adequate amounts of selenium present in your body. Selenium has a way of eliminating toxins from the body including metals so adding foods rich in selenium to your diet can prevent toxic buildup.
These are just a few examples of health benefits that are worth taking note of when you take selenium. By adding foods with selenium to your diet, you are helping your body become stronger and healthier in the process.