When the hottest months of the year strike, jamun juice comes aplenty! If you have diabetes, you may be wondering if it’s fine for you to drink this summer staple. Continue reading to know the answer!
Jamun juice comes from jamun fruits, which are also sometimes referred to as black plums. Having deep purple coloration, they are very popular during summer because that’s the time when the trees they come from bear fruits. Other than its characteristic color that can stain clothes and its unique prune-like taste, jamun fruits are also popular for the numerous health benefits they bring. So as a diabetic, can you drink jamun juice? The answer is a resounding “yes!”
One of the many health benefits offered by jamun juice (and jamun fruits themselves) is the relief from the symptoms of diabetes. Traditional healers use jamun fruits in controlling blood sugar levels, which can really spike if you have diabetes — it’s inevitable as the cells of your body do not respond favorably to insulin, and sometimes because the pancreas does not produce enough insulin for the transport of sugar in the bloodstream the cells.
In other words, the consumption of jamun juice can facilitate the usage of sugar by the cells, thereby causing the levels of sugar in the blood to be normalized. Definitely, this is good news for someone who has diabetes!
What’s so nice about jamun juice is it’s also known to help control some of the other symptoms of diabetes, and not just manage high levels of sugar in the bloodstream. Jamun juice is capable of controlling excessive thirst, too. Known as polydipsia in the medical community, excessive thirst stems from the fact that there are simply lots of sugar present in the blood that your body wants to get rid of.
Aside from excessive thirst, jamun juice is also proven to be effective against excessive urination, or what is referred to as polyuria by doctors. Again, it has something to do with the fact that your body wants to flush out excess sugar by means of the urine, and also because someone with diabetes is compelled to drink lots of water.
So in a nutshell, it is a wonderful idea for you to drink jamun juice if you have diabetes. As soon as summer is here, get your hands on jamun fruits and eat them as they are or turn them into juice. But other than managing diabetes, jamon juice offers so many other health perks such as:
- It gives you a winning smile. Jamun juice helps kill off oral bacteria, thus preventing various smile-wreckers such as cavities and gum disease from striking.
- It strengthens your immune system. Because it’s rich in vitamin C, jamun juice can make your immune system strong, which is especially beneficial during the hottest months of the year.
- It helps detoxify the body. Traditional healers use jamun fruits in purifying the blood. That’s why consuming them, whole or in juice form, can help rid your body of harmful substances.
- It also keeps anemia at bay. One of the many minerals found in jamun juice is iron, something that helps promote the formation of oxygen-carrying red blood cells or RBCs.
- It wards off heart disease. Rich in potassium, jamun juice can help keep high blood pressure in check, and this is what lowers your risk of having heart disease.
- It slows down skin aging. Just like so many other natural juices out there, jamun juice is loaded with antioxidants that neutralize excess free radicals, thus slowing down the aging process.
- It helps manage constipation. Packed with fiber, the consumption of jamun juice helps prevent and treat constipation. It also helps stave off hemorrhoids or piles.