Bell peppers are not just for toppings on your favorite pizza, but they can jazz up your salads and soups not to mention stir-fry dishes to give you that mild, hot taste. Aside from their bright colors, bell peppers also come bearing numerous health benefits that we should take advantage of.
If you are not familiar with the health benefits that are linked to eating bell pepper, you might want to read on.
- They come with plenty of vitamin C. It appears that bell peppers are high in vitamin C content which is exactly what you need to keep your immune system strong and healthy. Vitamin C also helps keep your skin looking young. If you want to get more of this important nutrient, choose the red variety of bell peppers.
- They can keep your eyes healthy. There are about 30 different kinds of carotenoids in bell peppers such as beta-carotene, lutein, alpha-carotene, and lycopene which contribute to keeping your eyes in their best condition. They are also responsible for keeping any eye diseases at bay because they help absorb damaging light that passes through the eyes.
- They contain capsaicin. Bell peppers also contain capsaicin which has been found to deliver several health benefits such as regulating diabetes, reducing inflammation, soothing pain, and even lowering bad cholesterol. So if you’re suffering from some body pain, adding this ingredient to your meal can help ease the problem.
- They can help improve your mood. If you’ve been feeling down lately, you might want to increase the amount of vitamin B6 in your body. One reason behind this is that vitamin B6 helps your brain produce norepinephrine and serotonin which are two types of chemicals that can actually lift your mood. Fortunately, bell peppers have plenty of vitamin B6 so you should definitely include them in your diet.
- They are good for your skin. Another health benefit to be gained from eating bell peppers is that they can keep your hair as well as skin looking beautiful. This is due to the amount of vitamin E present in bell peppers. So if you want to retain smooth and beautiful skin and hair, make sure that you add some bell peppers to your meals.
- They can help you with your weight loss plans. Bell peppers are actually low in calories and fat which means that you can eat as many bell peppers as you want without worrying about gaining weight.
- They can provide you with antioxidants. Don’t forget that bell peppers contain antioxidants that can protect you against any damage caused by free radicals. Also, bell peppers have anti-inflammatory properties which can help reduce any swelling or inflamed cells in your body to keep you in the best of health.
As you can see, there are several benefits to be gained from eating bell peppers. Since they are not overly spicy, you can eat them for snacks or you can add them into your main dish for that extra boost of nutrients that your body needs.