Are you fond of eating bananas? Are you suffering from anxiety or insomnia? If your answer to both questions is “yes”, then this article is for you!
Everyone knows that consuming bananas is perfect for preventing constipation because it is loaded with dietary fiber that helps promote regular bowel movement. In times of diarrhea, you can also count on these tropical gems — they are also actually very good at dealing with loose stools!
It’s no secret, too, that bananas are ideal for those who are battling high blood pressure. Thanks to the potassium they contain, making bananas a part of the diet can help keep hypertension at bay.
Just like so many other fruits on the planet, it’s in the peel where much of the health-giving nutrients of bananas can be found. Fortunately, nothing should go to waste because you can in fact turn banana peel into tea, which is highly beneficial for people who have anxiety and insomnia!
There are a couple of reasons why banana peel tea is good for managing both anxiety and insomnia:
Its magnesium helps lift the mood, thus warding off negative thoughts that can keep you from having a peaceful mind as well as a good night’s sleep.
Its potassium helps relax the muscles. It’s for the same reason why this mineral helps lower blood pressure — it causes the walls of the blood vessels to become relaxed.
Definitely, consuming a cup of banana peel tea is so much better than popping an anti-anxiety or sleeping pill in the mouth, both of which can carry some risks and unfavorable side effects.
By drinking a cup of freshly-made banana peel tea whenever you are anxious or you cannot go to dreamland at night, you can supply your body with good amounts of magnesium and potassium — much of these minerals in every piece of banana are situated in the peel!
They key to having a cup of banana peel tea each time you need one is making it in advance. Yes, you can whip up banana peel tea powder and then stash it in an airtight container, letting you easily brew yourself a cup of banana peel tea whenever you are feeling anxious or having a hard time getting some sleep.
Here are the simple steps:
• Every time you consume a banana, immediately stash the peel in the freezer.
• Once you are happy with the amount of banana peels you have collected, allow them to thaw for about a couple of hours. Don’t be surprised if they turn black — it’s perfectly normal!
• While allowing your banana peels to thaw, have your oven preheated to 150ºF.
• Neatly arrange those thawed banana peels on a baking sheet and place in the oven. Allow them to cook slowly — it will usually take about an hour. You can tell that those banana peels are ready for tea-making once they are completely dry and crisp.
• Allow to cool to room temperature.
• Once already cool, use your fingers to break those banana peels into smaller pieces.
• Grab your blender or coffee grinder and start turning those banana peels into powder. It’s a wonderful idea to pulverize a small batch at a time for a more consistent outcome.
• Transfer the pulverized banana peel in a clean airtight container and keep in the refrigerator for longevity.
That’s how easy it is to make banana peel tea from scratch! Each time you feel that you could use a cup of it, simply put a teaspoon of banana peel tea in a cup of hot water. After a couple of minutes, strain and add a little honey to taste. Some people say that the anti-anxiety and anti-insomnia benefits of banana peel tea are multiplied by adding a pinch of cinnamon powder to it!