There are many forms of periodontal disease, and one of them is receding gums. Just like what it’s called says, the gums recede, thus exposing the roots of the teeth. According to dental experts, about 3 out of 4 adults are suffering from some kind of periodontal disease, and receding gums is included.
Noticeably shrinking gums, exposed root areas of the teeth, loose teeth, bad breath, and swollen, red, painful and bleeding gums — these are the common signs and symptoms of receding gums. Having receding gums treated promptly is of utmost importance in order to keep the teeth from falling out or having to be deliberately pulled out by a dentist. Advanced cases of receding gums may require surgical treatment.
Since receding gums is more common in people aged 40 and above, many believe that is a normal sign of aging. However, that is not true at all. But experts do know that receding gums is more common in men than in women.
Buildup of both bacteria and plaque along the gum line is the root cause of receding gums. Eventually, pockets under the gum line form, providing more opportunity and space for bacteria to multiply and for plaque to accumulate. Definitely, poor oral hygiene is to blame for the development of receding gums.
Other causes of receding gums include:
- Using hard-bristled toothbrush
- Brushing in an aggressive fashion
- Cigarette smoking
- Hormonal changes especially in women
- Gum disease running in the family
- A compromised immune system
It is very important for receding gums to be checked and treated by a dentist in order to prevent complications associated with it from striking, like tooth loss.
Other than the prescribed treatment of a dental professional, there are also a few home remedies that are said to be effective against receding gums. Some of them are:
- Aloe vera. The gel within the aloe vera leaf should be applied on the affected areas.
- Green tea. Something as simple as consuming antioxidant-rich green tea can help a lot.
- Coconut oil. Rinsing the mouth with coconut oil is known as an effective solution for receding gums.
- Eucalyptus essential oil. Its anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties are both helpful.
- Vitamin C-rich foods. Vitamin C promotes healthy gums, and foods containing it should be consumed.
Who needs to worry about having receding gums treated by a dentist or at home with some natural solutions if it is very much possible to avoid the dental problem in the first place? By doing the following, you can considerably reduce your risk of suffering from receding gums:
- Brushing your teeth regularly
- Not forgetting the importance of flossing
- Eating foods that are rich in vitamin C
- Avoiding cigarette smoking
- Taking regular trips to your trusted dentist