Having a bowl of oats for breakfast is a smart move — it supplies your body with an array of nutrients such as fiber, protein, and various B vitamins necessary for starting your day. Definitely, topping a serving of oats with fruits leaves it packing more nutrients as well as tasting so much better!
Did you know that there is another way of enjoying oats in the morning, and that is without having them cooked? The truth is many have been enjoying raw, soaked oats for a long time already. Fret not because it’s perfectly safe to consume raw oats, according to experts themselves.
Other than allowing you to appreciate your all-time favorite breakfast food in an entirely new way, choosing to have oats soaked also comes with all sorts of perks, all of which can help make your mornings brighter! It’s no wonder why more and more people prefer to soak rather than cook their oats!
So what are the benefits that soaking raw oats offers? The following are just a few of them:
Your Stomach Won’t Have a Hard Time Digesting Oats
Hours of soaking causes oats to break down, saving your stomach from having to do a lot of work at the start of your day. The consumption of raw, soaked oats is perfect for you if having a bowl of oatmeal in the morning kind of leaves you with a tummy ache. By soaking oats, your body can easily take advantage of the nutrients they pack!
Increased Insulin is Kept at Bay
Experts say that resistant starch, a special type of carbohydrates, in oats comes in greater amounts in food sources that are cooled instead of heated. What’s so great about resistant starch? Well, for one they save your insulin from spiking, keeping your energy levels stable for the most part of the day.
Oats Become More Enjoyable to Eat
Bored of that bowl of oats despite of having plenty of fruit toppings to choose from? Then it’s high time that you consider soaking your oats rather than having them cooked on the stove or in the microwave. Many can attest to the fact that eating raw, soaked oats at the breakfast table is like having dessert first thing in the morning!
Soaking Helps Keep You From Running Late
Last but not least, opting for raw, soaked oats can help save you a great deal of time. That’s because this amazing new breakfast staple is prepared the night before — yup, you whip it up prior to hitting the sack. Due to the fact that you simply have to get it from the fridge the following day, mornings need not be stressful!
Want to enjoy all of these benefits? Here are the steps on how to soak raw oats in a healthy fashion:
- Step 1: Measure 1/2 cup of raw oats, preferably the organic kind. Also, it’s a wonderful idea to opt for rolled oats as they are less processed — the less processing, the healthier!
- Step 2: Place your raw oats in a small bowl. Add 1 cup of your favorite milk alternative. It can be almond milk, coconut milk, cashew milk — absolutely your choice. Oh, do stick to non-sweetened non-dairy milk.
- Step 3: Add a little of your preferred sweetener. Make sure that it’s the healthy kind like stevia, raw honey or maple syrup to make your breakfast for the following day devoid of the bad stuff.
- Step 4: Stash the bowl of raw, soaked oats in the refrigerator.
- Step 5: The next day, take it out of the fridge. You may add a few healthy toppings such as crushed nuts or sliced fruits. Some people love mixing in ground chia or flax seeds!