We all know that aloe vera is good for wrinkled skin and chapped lips. Did you know that it’s also wonderful for your smile? For quite some time now, aloe vera toothpastes are available on the market, and they are loved by many who wish to steer clear of commercial toothpastes that contain loads of harsh chemicals. If you continue reading, you will learn how to come up with your very own aloe vera toothpaste, allowing you to save lots of money!
But before we take a look at the very simple recipe, let us first delve into what makes aloe vera great for your mouth.
Aloe vera is well-known in the world of all-natural skincare. It is packed with vitamin E that helps hydrate and nourish skin, as well as protect skin cells from free radicals. In other words, aloe vera helps keep at bay the various signs of aging, and that’s why it is a staple ingredient in so many anti-aging solutions currently available.
Experts say that aloe vera also possesses anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties, and this is exactly the reason why it makes for an excellent smile protector! Aloe vera does so effectively yet very gently, thus making it highly ideal for people with very sensitive teeth and gums.
Yes, the gums should be kept in tip-top shape if you want to be spotted with the most traffic-stopping smile. Otherwise, gums that are diseased can lead to tooth loss. Your gums, you see, are the ones that keep your pearly whites in place. They also protect delicate parts of your teeth, in particular the ones that you don’t get to see. Importantly, your gums are the ones that supply your choppers with the nutrients they need.
As you can see, it’s not just your teeth that you should take very good care of if you want to have a winsome smile, but also your gums!
Unfortunately, a lot of commercial toothpastes out there contain ingredients that can damage both your teeth and gums in the long run. Some people who react negatively to those ingredients may end up with painful oral sores, swollen gums and sensitive teeth. It’s so ironic that a lot of products out there that are formulated to give you a stellar smile can in fact damage your smile sooner or later!
What you need to do is opt for toothpaste that is very gentle on your teeth and gums, in particular something that is highly recommended by a family or friend, or your trusted dentist. Or you can get your hands on aloe vera toothpaste that’s available online or offline. Or you can simply make your own without breaking a sweat!
Here’s how you can whip up aloe vera toothpaste:
- Aloe vera leaves (enough to produce 3 teaspoons of aloe vera gel)
- 3 teaspoons of baking soda
- 5 teaspoons of vegetable glycerin
- 5 to 10 pieces of fresh mint leaves
- Wash aloe vera gel and mint leaves thoroughly with water.
- Carefully, use a knife to cut the aloe vera leaves into flat portions, in a manner similar to filleting a fish.
- With the help of a spoon, scoop out the gel. You should collect 3 teaspoons of it all in all. Place aloe vera gel in a small mixing bowl.
- Chop up fresh mint leaves — the finer, the better.
- Mix the finely-chopped fresh mint leaves into the aloe vera gel.
- Add baking soda and vegetable glycerin. Mix very well.
- Feel free to add a little more vegetable glycerin (or less) for you to be able to come up with toothpaste having the consistency you like.
- Transfer to a clean container with a cover.
Very easy to make, isn’t it? All you have to do is dip a clean and damp soft-bristled toothbrush in your homemade aloe vera toothpaste and brush your teeth. It’s very good at eliminating plaque and bad breath without harming your teeth and gums. It’s also the perfect toothpaste to use if you have swollen gums.