Our energy levels can dip in the afternoon especially when we had an early start in the day but before you grab that nth cup of coffee to keep your eyes from closing, you might want to consider trying something else to perk you up. Do you want to know how to increase your energy without drinking any caffeinated drink? Try the following out.
- Lemon water. This is probably one of the simplest ways to perk you up late in the afternoon. Add a few slices of lemon to your regular drinking water and voila! You will feel refreshed and rejuvenated in no time. One reason behind this is that the lemon contains electrolytes that can replenish your body with your much needed liquid to avoid dehydration. When you are dehydrated, your body becomes weak and unable to function properly.
- Spinach and pear walnut salad. The combination of spinach, pear, and walnut packs quite a powerful punch in terms of energy boost because they can deliver protein, antioxidants, and other important nutrients that will get your energy levels up while keeping your blood sugar levels properly balanced. This way, you won’t experience any sudden dips in your energy levels compared to eating foods high in sugar content or caffeine for that matter.
- If you don’t have much time to prepare your afternoon snack, just grab some nuts like almonds, cashews, and even hazelnuts for that matter and just toss them in a sealable plastic or container. These nuts contain magnesium which can convert sugar to energy. Another plus to eating nuts is that they are high in fiber as well as protein to keep your blood sugar levels balanced and that your belly remains full until your next meal. The best part is that you can just leave them in your drawer for tomorrow without worrying about the nuts becoming spoiled.
- Quinoa salad with seasonal vegetables. There is no denying that quinoa contains plenty of health benefits from protein to fiber and a host of other nutrients which is why preparing some quinoa with vegetables is guaranteed to keep your energy stabilized throughout the day. This light meal can be your lunch or snack and the best part is that you don’t have to worry about too much calories.
- Dark chocolate. Eating sweets is not recommended when you’re trying to perk yourself up because it will only give you a sugar rush then you will come crashing back down and feel worse too. Well, there is an exception to this which is the dark chocolate. Studies have shown that eating dark chocolate can actually give you that burst of energy minus the sugar crash. Just make sure that you choose one that has high amounts of cacao in it and limit your intake to a small piece only.
These are just a few examples of foods that are sure to get your energy levels back up in no time. The best part is that they are not that difficult to prepare and they are all natural too.