Modern innovations are giving us plenty of breakthroughs in the field of science which is why it is not surprising that we are often relying on the latest medications to treat our illness. This is one of the reasons why old remedies have been forgotten or set aside as people prefer brand names that they are familiar with. That is, until researchers studied these ancient remedies and discovered that they actually work. And because of this discovery, people are starting to consider alternative medicine for their health problems.
Ancient Remedies that can be Used Today
Although modern medicine is commonly prescribed today, people can’t help but wonder if there are any other solutions out there that can help them with their illness. After all, the more we take these medications, the more our body becomes tolerant of their effects. The good news is that it seems that ancient remedies are making a comeback in the health and wellness scene in the form of alternative medicine. Here are a few that have been studied and found to be effective:
- Rhodiola Rosea. Commonly referred to as rose root or gold root, rhodiola rosea has numerous medicinal properties linked to it such as reducing the effects of depression as well as fatigue. It’s no wonder why ancient civilizations rely on this herb for medicinal purposes during their time.
- Ginkgo biloba. Ginkgo biloba has been around for more than 10,000 years and is still being used to help with Alzheimer’s and dementia. The leaf of the plant if often used to treat mental issues from memory loss, to vertigo, to headache, and even to mood swings just to name a few. It is even prescribed to patients who have cognitive issues and even sleep disorders.
- Black cumin seed. Also referred to as Nigella Sativa, the black cumin seed was once used by Muslin cultures, but it is important to note that its medicinal properties have been used even before Islam was formed. The seeds were often prescribed to individuals who have asthma, diabetes, back pain, fever, infections, and even digestive issues. If it is used externally it can even help treat those who have eczema or psoriasis even. It is believed that the black cumin seed contains more than 100 healthy components such as carbohydrates, fatty acids, vitamins, minerals, as well as protein. Recent studies show that the black cumin seeds do have anti-leukemic, anti-diabetes, and anti-inflammatory properties, and can even combat cancer formation too.
- Grape. Both its grape skin extract and grape seed extract have been found to contain high amounts of antioxidants and are known for their ability to lower one’s cholesterol levels and blood pressure too. It also comes with vasodilatory effects where it helps make your arterial wall relax.
- Ginseng. Panax ginseng is often used as an adaptogenic herb to combat insomnia, depression, adrenal fatigue, and burn-out while enhancing one’s immune system. It even protects you from environmental stress while boosting your cognitive function, memory, and concentration, including your athletic and physical performance even.
- Phellodendron amurense. This refers to the bark of the Amur cork tree and is a staple in Ancient Chinese medicine due to its healing powers. This extract is commonly used as a painkiller. Latest research showed that this extract also has the ability to block the pathways of cancer formation and even prevent scarring when taking cancer medications even. It can even help with the inflammation happening inside the tumors.
- Hawthorn berry. Hawthorn is another ancient remedy that has been proven to be effective recently. During ancient times, the hawthorn berry was used to treat different cardiovascular problems because of its ability to calm the nervous system. It also has a relaxing effect on the arteries which promotes lowering of blood pressure. Having a low blood pressure reduces your risk of heart problems like stroke and heart attack.
- Garlic. Garlic, or Allium Sativum, is commonly used in reducing high blood pressure, atherosclerosis, coronary heart disease, chronic fatigue syndrome, earaches, and even infections just to name a few. Another plus to this ancient remedy is that it also functions as an anti-clotting agent.
- Aloe vera. Aloe vera has another name to it and that is the “plant of immortality”. Ancient civilizations had used this plant in various medical conditions from burns, asthma, diabetes, obesity, acne, and dermatitis even. Aloe vera contains about up to 95% water with the remaining 5% containing high amounts of healthy enzymes. There are more than 200 bioactive compounds in it like vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and other enzymes that are found to improve the body’s ability to absorb nutrients. Even today, the aloe vera plant is still being used to treat different health issues.
Who would have thought that these ancient remedies still have a place in our modern world? These are just a few examples of ancient remedies that have been found to be effective by researchers with more still being tested to determine their efficacy. Whether you are into alternative medicine or are looking for a treatment that doesn’t come with any side effects, it seems that ancient remedies may still have a place in our society today.