Golden milk is basically milk that possesses a yellow color. Why? That’s because it contains turmeric — the very same spice that gives curry its characteristic hue. It’s no secret that turmeric possesses an assortment of impressive health benefits, and mixing it with full-fat milk helps you enjoy all of those perks — it’s for the fact that fat present in milk helps your body absorb the potent compounds in turmeric much better.
This article will teach you how to make golden milk at home. Actually, you will encounter a couple of recipes below. The first one is for those who don’t mind drinking full-fat milk. The other one is for those who refuse to drink cow’s milk.
Before we take a look at the said recipes, let us first discuss some of the reasons why drinking golden milk on a regular basis is a superb idea. According to studies, doing so will let you enjoy the following:
- A stronger immune system. If you have a strong immune system, you are less likely to end up with the common cold, flu and other infections and allergies.
- A well-functioning digestive system. The many benefits of turmeric on the digestive system have long been established. And that’s why drinking golden milk on a regular basis can help improve digestion, cure heartburn or a bout of acid reflux, relieve bloating and excess gas, and even kill off parasites in the gut.
- Purified liver and blood. Antioxidants in turmeric help support your liver, enabling the said organ to properly carry out its tasks, which are plenty! Also, those antioxidants in turmeric help eliminate impurities and poisonous substances in the blood.
- Reduced joint pain and swelling. Because of the incredible anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric, the intake of golden milk is superb for people who are bugged by joints that are achy and swollen.
- Smoother and younger-looking skin. The combination of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric helps beautify the skin, making it clearer and young-looking. Regular consumption of golden milk is beneficial for people suffering from acne. The same is true for those who have eczema, psoriasis and other inflammatory problems of the skin.
- A healthier female reproductive system. Golden milk is said to be helpful for women who like to get pregnant as it promotes fertility. The beverage is also ideal for those with irregular as well as painful period.
- Lower risk of cancer. For years now, scientists know that turmeric is very good against cancer. The reason for such is a compound in turmeric called curcumin. This is why drinking golden milk on a regular basis can help prevent cancer cells from forming, as well as inhibit the growth and spreading of already present ones.
Are you excited to enjoy the health benefits discussed above? Then continue reading. This is how you can whip up a serving of golden milk:
- 1 cup of full-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1/2 cup of water
- A dash of ground black pepper
- In a small saucepan, combine full-fat milk and water. Heat the mixture using low heat.
- Once hot, add turmeric. Bring to a boil while stirring the mixture every now and then.
- Allow the mixture to simmer for about 10 minutes, reducing the volume to about a cup.
- Turn off the heat. Add a dash of ground black pepper and stir.
- Let it cool for a while and transfer into a cup. Consume while still hot or warm.
Just like what’s mentioned earlier, fat is needed to facilitate the absorption of turmeric, and that’s why the yellow-colored spice is dissolved in full-fat milk. Don’t like the idea of consuming full-fat milk? Worry not because you can still enjoy golden milk and the numerous health benefits it brings.
All you have to do is replace 1 cup of full-fat milk with a cup of milk alternative that you like, such as almond milk or soy milk. Afterwards, stir in a tablespoon of coconut oil. Just follow the directions given above to enjoy golden milk that is free of lactose and saturated fat!