Many tears have been shed both by parents and children because of lice. Lice bring discomfort to children and can frustrate even the wiliest of parents who pour over-the-counter medications and prescription insecticides on their children’s head just to get rid of these pesky critters. Unfortunately, lice can develop resistance against these products which is why it is sometimes difficult to remove them completely. With that being said, you can turn to natural remedies to eliminate lice and to provide relief to your children’s scalp problem.
Here are some examples of home remedies for you to try.
- Tea tree oil. Tea tree oil doesn’t have to be combined with any ingredients as it can hold on its own. You can use olive oil in combination with this treatment to get the best results. Run some olive oil on your child’s hair and scalp then apply a few drops of tea tree oil. Cover your child’s head with a shower cap and let the oil soak overnight. Shampoo the following day several times to remove all traces of olive oil. Afterwards, comb through hair to remove any lice.
- Combing and nitpicking. Another method to remove lice is to use a special comb designed for lice removal and nitpicking. This should be used at the same time as other home remedies in this list so that you will be able to eliminate lice infestation as quickly as possible. Use the comb after every treatment to remove any traces of lice.
- Neem oil. When it comes to eliminating lice, you should take advantage of neem oil. This particular remedy is considered as a natural insecticide that can kill of lice failry quickly. What’s even better is that neem oil is quite safe to use unlike other types of insecticides out there. It would be a good idea to look for a shampoo that has neem oil in it so that the medication will work immediately. If you can’t find this kind of shampoo in your local drugstore, get your hands on a bottle of neem oil and just add a few drops to your regular shampoo and wash your hair with it.
- Olive oil. You can also use olive oil when treating lice infested heads because it is believed that the oil can block the breathing holes of the lice which can terminate them in the long run. However, you need to apply olive oil on your child’s head and cover it with a shower cap and leave it on overnight. The olive oil can help loosen up the lice so you need to use a comb to remove them afterwards.
- Baby oil and white vinegar. Another home remedy that can help you get rid of lice is vinegar. You can go for white vinegar or apple cider vinegar, whichever you prefer, and still get the same effects. Just make sure that you combine it with some baby oil to further suffocate the lice. First, apply some baby oil on your child’s head then comb afterwards to remove lice. Shampoo the hair afterwards then apply the vinegar before bed time. Don’t forget to cover the head with a shower cap. Wash hair the following day.