Parents tend to feel slightly panicked when their kids have a fever which is a common enough reaction as their children can become restless and feeling out of sorts. Although it is quite normal for children to have fever especially when their body is fighting off a virus, when the temperature goes beyond 37.5C, it is a cause for worry. There are over-the-counter medications that can be used to alleviate a low-grade fever but relying too much on them can leave your child’s immune system unable to fight off other bacteria because of constant medication.
Fortunately, there are home remedies that you can use to help reduce your child’s fever fairly quickly.
- Cool water. This is one of the easiest home remedies that you can use to alleviate your child’s fever. Simply soak a clean wash cloth in tap water then wring out the excess water. Use the wash cloth to sponge areas like the armpits, hands, feet, and groin to help lower the temperature. You can also place a cold, damp cloth on your child’s forehead and replace it every few minutes to hasten the process of reducing the child’s fever.
- Drink liquids. Encourage your child to drink liquids as much as possible to help reduce their fever. However, you need to exercise patience especially when your baby has a stomach flu as he or she may refuse at first. Even one to two teaspoons of liquid can be a big help already so keep at it.
- Apple cider vinegar. Another home remedy that you can try to alleviate your little one’s fever is apple cider vinegar. The acid in vinegar can help draw out the fever so your child will feel better in no time. Just add half a cup of vinegar into the lukewarm bath water that you have prepared and let your child soak in it for five to ten minutes. You will see a marked improvement in a few minutes. You can repeat this treatment if your child still has a high fever.
- Light clothing. Since your little one needs to cool down to alleviate his fever, try removing some of the clothes that they are wearing. This will help speed up the process of alleviating their fever especially when you combine it with other home remedies.
- Ginger is also a good choice when it comes to reducing your child’s remedy as it contains both antibacterial and antiviral properties. It can also boost your child’s immune system to help combat any viruses. One way to use this treatment is to make ginger tea by adding half a teaspoon of finely grated ginger in a cup of boiling water. Add honey to sweeten then let your child sip it often.
These home remedies have been found to be effective in reducing a child’s fever. What’s even better is that these remedies do not cause any side effects which is why they are worth trying out.