Most people tend to have a cup of coffee first thing in the morning but it appears that drinking water is far better in terms of the health benefits that it can provide. If you’re going to look at the Japanese culture, they tend to drink two glasses of water upon waking as part of their health regimen. It may be that this is one of the reasons why they have managed to live up to 100 years old, this and drinking tea and healthy living. So what exactly are you getting from drinking water first thing in the morning? Here are some of its known benefits to your health.
- It gets rid of toxins. Water can help nourish your cells while at the same time get rid of the toxins that are lingering inside your body. These toxins are the result of the healing process that your body undergoes while you are sleeping and, with the help of drinking water, you’ll be able to flush them out of your system easily.
- It increases metabolism. Another benefit to drinking water on an empty stomach is that it can help boost your metabolism. This is especially helpful if you are trying to lose weight. Consuming at least 16 ounces of chilled water can increase your metabolism up to 24%. Not bad considering the amount of calories you get to burn in the process.
- It rehydrates your body. Since you have been sleeping for several hours, your body is already in a state of dehydration. Drinking coffee immediately can actually make you more dehydrated as this beverage is a diuretic. Having a glass or two of water when you wake up is much better as they help replenish the water in your body. You will feel more refreshed and energetic when you practice drinking water in the morning compared to having your regular cup of Joe.
- It can prevent diseases. Although some may be a bit skeptical regarding the abilities of water when it comes to preventing diseases, its ability to get rid of toxins, nourish cells, and enhance metabolism can actually aid in providing protection against various diseases. Since toxins and other free radicals can trigger health issues, getting rid of them from your body regularly is already considered as a huge advantage.
- It purifies the colon. Another advantage to drinking water on an empty stomach is that it can cleanse your colon. This in turn allows the body to absorb more nutrients from the food that you eat. This means that you won’t be lacking in vitamins and minerals from the food that you eat because your colon will be able to function at 100%.
- It wakes your brain up. Our brain is made up of 75% water which means that when our water level is low, we might not be able to use our mental capacity to the fullest. A glass of water in the morning can help ensure that your brain will be working at its maximum so that you will be able to address your tasks with more focus and mental clarity.
- It refreshes you. Another reason why drinking water when you wake up is worth it is because it can help you feel refreshed. It’s really annoying when you’re all dry mouthed and your brain is a bit foggy from your sleep but not when the first drink that you grab is water.
As you can see, drinking water early in the day does have plenty of health benefits to offer. So why not make it your morning ritual?