Building muscles is one way to speed up your metabolism but if you think that you’ll only achieve this by going to the gym all the time, then you’re wrong. As a matter of fact, you can tone your entire physique right in the comforts of your own home. What’s great about doing at-home exercises is that you can do them with or without any weights. So if you’re leaning towards squeezing some fitness routine when you get home, here are five workouts that you can try out.
- Alternating split squat jump. For this exercise, you should go into a split stance with one foot in front of the other. Lower yourself into a squat then explode upwards into the air while switching your legs so that the back leg will be in the front and the front leg will be at the back. Lower yourself into a squat upon landing and jump explosively once more while alternating your legs.
- Push-ups. This classic move shouldn’t disappear in your arsenal as it is designed to test your whole body. For this exercise, lie face down on the floor with your hands positioned near your armpits with your elbows bent and your toes on the floor. Engage your core as you push yourself upwards by straightening your arms. Make sure that your back is straight from your shoulders to your ankles. Lower yourself down and repeat.
- Alternating side plank. Lie on your left side with your forearm on the ground and perpendicular to the body. Make sure that your body is straight and that your core and glutes are engaged. Your shoulders should be pulled back and that your hips aren’t sagging. Stay in this position for a few counts, afterwards, twist your body towards the ground so you can go into a side plank in the opposite side. Hold this pose then repeat.
- Walking lunges. For this exercise, you should start at a standing position with your hands holding a dumbbell in each hand. Take one huge step forward then bend your knees to 90 degrees. Go back up then take another huge step forward with the other leg. Repeat the steps above. Keep moving forward until you feel tired.
- Prisoner hold jump squats. Another exercise that you should include in your at-home training is the prisoner hold jump squats. Stand straight with your feet at shoulder-width apart. Your feet should be turned out slightly. Position your hands behind your head with your elbows pointing outwards. Lower yourself into a squat with your knees spread apart. Your weight should be on your heels. Explode upwards then lower yourself into a squat upon landing.
These exercises are just for starters. There are others that you can choose from that will focus on your arms, core, legs, and feet. You can mix and match your workouts so that you will be able to train your entire body for even growth. If you want to make your fitness program more challenging, invest on dumbbells or barbells if you can.