People nowadays are more conscious of their weight and their eating habits as many have realized that being overweight poses several health threats for them. Those who have tipped the scales are usually looking for ways that they can shed pounds fast hence they go on diets to help them out. The only problem with some diets is that they are hard to sustain but not when you switch to healthier eating.
Healthy eating isn’t that difficult to pull off. By tweaking your diet to incorporate some healthy food choices, you can slowly transition to a diet that you can sustain for long periods of time. A good place for you to start is adding nuts to your diet, specifically, these five healthy nuts.
- Pecans. Pecans are not only versatile but they are also quite delicious to eat. An ounce serving of this nut contains less than 200 calories and a host of vitamins and minerals such as vitamins A and E, calcium, potassium, and fiber. The antioxidants present in pecans help protect you against various illnesses not to mention reduce your risk of cardiovascular problems.
- Almonds. You’ve probably seen quite a lot of dishes that use almonds from salads to main dishes to desserts too. It even has its own milk! This shouldn’t be a surprise since this is touted as one of the highest-protein rich foods and the best part is that it is cheaper compared to walnuts. Almonds contain vitamin E and magnesium which protect the body against oxidative damage.
- Pistachios. Another nut that you should include in your diet is pistachios. This nut is low in fat and calorie content but it is high in vitamin B6, manganese, copper and other important vitamins and minerals. Eating pistachios appears to have a positive effect in weight loss including heart health which is why it comes highly recommended to those who are making a shift to a healthier diet.
- Cashews. This nut has this buttery and fatty taste to it but it packs quite a powerful punch in terms of nutrients. Iron, zinc, as well as other trace minerals are found in cashews with an ounce serving delivering up to a quarter of your recommended daily phosphorous requirements. Although they might cause your calorie intake to increase when you snack on it, it is still good for those who want to lose weight as it can keep your stomach full for hours.
- Hazelnuts. Hazelnuts are often added to desserts because of their delicious flavor. But you might not realize that this nut is also good for losing weight. Hazelnuts contain copper, about 3 grams of fiber, thiamin, manganese, as well as vitamin E. And just like with other types of nuts, this one is also good for your heart.
Adding nuts to your diet appears to have plenty of health benefits to offer. These nuts are great for snacks or as additions to your dishes like salads and desserts. It’s just a matter of which nuts you prefer but they are all great for your weight loss needs and improving your overall health.