Sage is part of the mint family and is commonly used in many dishes such as in sausages, veal, and even turkey for that matter. But did you know that there is more to this herb than just giving your food that extra flavor? Today, sage is being used in many health industries because of the amazing benefits that you can get from it. Do you want to know what benefits you can reap from using sage? Here are five benefits that you should consider.
- It slows down aging. We all want to be able to preserve smooth and young looking skin even as we age and although we cannot keep lines and wrinkles from appearing as we reach our 50s and onwards, you can still take steps to slow down the aging process such as using sage. One reason behind is that sage contains antioxidants that can combat free radicals that are damaging your skin cells. The vitamin A and calcium compounds present in sage are the ones responsible for keeping signs of aging at bay.
- It can treat depression. It appears that drinking sage can help with increase your mental focus. This is because sage contains Thujone which is a type of receptor antagonist meaning it will help your brain to work better so that you will be able to focus. This is why this tea is referred to as the “Thinker’s Tea”. Also, there are studies that show that drinking sage tea can also address depression which you need to look into if you are feeling blue.
- It can be used as toner for your oily skin. Oily skin can be a problem especially when it can trigger acne from time to time due to the dirt and debris that can clog your pores. The good news is that you can keep your skin blemish free by using sage as your own DIY toner to help regulate oil production. All that you have to do is to boil a spoonful of sage in 250ml of water. Strain it then put it aside to cool down. Dab the mixture on your face afterwards.
- It can protect your cardiovascular system. Another health benefit that you can get from sage is that it can help protect your heart against various health issues like stroke, heart attack, and the like. The presence of salvigenin, which is a type of flavone, is the one that provides protection to your heart so you don’t have to worry about being at risk from various cardio problems.
- It treats hair loss. Baldness in men can be worrisome and so too in women. Fortunately, sage can be used to treat this hair problem fairly quickly. For this, you will need to mix 3 to 4 drops of sage essential oil with 3 to 4 drops each of peppermint and rosemary essential oil. Dilute the solution in a tablespoon of olive oil then massage the solution on your scalp and hair twice in a day.