Your parents might have already told you to finish the vegetables on your plate and no matter how many times you grumble, you still made sure that you eat those greens. Well, the thing is, your parents are actually helping you become healthier and stronger because those vegetables you’ve been eating are packed with vitamins and minerals that are needed by the body. And now that you’re older, you can now eat your own choice of veggies and prepare them as is or part of a dish. You can even have them as snacks if you like which is considerably better compared to your favorite calorie laden sweets.
So which vegetables can be eaten raw? Here are some that are worth mentioning.
- Seaweeds. Seaweed like nori, akame, kelp, and wakame are found to have up to 20 times more vitamins and minerals compared to land plants and they actually contain more chlorophyll than others. They are the best sources of iron, iodine, and calcium and they can even aid in detoxifying and moisturizing the body.
- Tomatoes. Red vegetables like tomatoes are good for snacking as they are crunchy and juicy and packed with lycopene which becomes vitamin A once converted by the body. This vegetable can help prevent various cancers like mouth, prostate, and lungs. Aside from tomatoes, other red vegetables that can be eaten raw are red cabbage, red bell peppers, and radish.
- Garlic and onions. These two vegetables fall under the white vegetable category and they are good for eating raw. One reason why you should include them in your diet is that they contain allicin which can lower your cholesterol and blood pressure. What’s more, eating garlic and onions can also protect against stomach cancer and even heart problems or diseases.
- Sprouts. Sprouts can be included in your list of veggies that can be eaten raw because they contain high amounts of essential nutrients that can protect your body against various illnesses. Aside from this, sprouts also contain chlorophyll and phytonutrients that boost the antioxidants in your body so that it can remove free radicals and other toxins so you won’t be susceptible to illnesses.
- Carrots and peppers. Another type of vegetables that you can eat as is are those that come in orange and yellow colors. Carrots are a good example of this type of vegetable as it is orange in color and contain plenty of beta-carotene which is then converted into vitamin A by the body. This particular vitamin can help improve your eyesight while at the same time boost your immune system so you won’t get sick so easily. Yellow squash, yellow bell peppers, and yellow tomatoes also fit the bill.
These are just a few examples of vegetables that can be eaten raw where you can reap their numerous health benefits such as stronger immune system, better eyesight, and the ability to fight off free radicals and other toxins because of the antioxidants present in these vegetables. For sure, they’ll make good snacks to nibble on in between meals.