Earaches are often triggered due to an infection or swelling in the ear. There are different types of earaches that can occur such as myringiti where the swelling occurs in the eardrum, Otitis Externa or infection in the outer ear, and Otitis Media where the infection is located in the middle poriton of the ear. These earaches can happen to both the young and the old but most of the time it affects children.
There are many factors that can trigger ear aches such as bacteria, allergies, common cold, ear disease, smoking or second hand smoking, and even infection in the upper respiratory tract. Fortunately, there are several remedies that you can take advantage of when your ears start to ache. Among these are:
- Garlic. Garlic contains both antibiotic and analgesic properties which is why it is a useful remedy for earache. For this treatment, you only need to heat a teaspoon of crushed garlic in 2 tablespoons of sesame oil for a few minutes. Let it cool afterwards then strain it. Once it has cooled down, pour two to three drops of this oil in the affected ear.
- Olive Oil. Another home remedy that can alleviate earache is olive oil. What this oil does is to help lubricate the ear while getting rid of any infection that may be present in the ear. It also helps in reducing the buzzing sensation that we sometimes experience inside the ear. You will need to put at least 3 to 4 drops of lukewarm olive oil into the ear canal to alleviate the earache.
- Eucalyptus Oil. You can also use eucalyptus oil to treat earache. You need to add a few drops of this oil in a bowl of boiling water then add a teaspoon of Vicks to the bowl. Inhale the steam after until the pain disappears. This treatment will reduce the pressure in the ear while draining any fluids present in the infected ear.
- Onion. If you are looking for other home remedies to treat earache, you should look into using onion. What’s great about onions is that they have antibacterial and antiseptic properties that have been found to be effective in alleviating earache problems. To use this remedy, you will need to get a tablespoon of onion juice by grating onions and heat it over low heat. Afterwards, put 2 to 3 drops of the juice into the ear that aches at least 2 to 3 times in a day.
- Peppermint. You can make your earaches disappear with peppermint. All that you have to do is to put a fresh peppermint juice to the affected ear. You should apply peppermint oil around the infected ear. Just make sure that you don’t put the juice directly into the infected ear.
As you can see, earaches can disappear easily with the help of the remedies mentioned above. There are more to try but these should be used when you are suffering from mild earaches only.