Gallstones are basically those hard deposits that tend to form in the gallbladder with sizes ranging from small as grain to golf ball sizes. At least 80% of gallstones were usually formed because of cholesterol. Other factors include concentration of bile and high levels of bilirubin found in the gallbladder. Risk of gallstones tend to increase when you have liver disease, you are obese, have diabetes, or anemia. Those who are in their 60s are also at risk of suffering from gallstones.
Fortunately, there are home remedies that can help minimize or treat gallstones. Some of these are:
- Lemon juice. Lemon is known for its high concentrations of vitamins as well as other essential nutrients that can enhance your immune system and speed up your metabolism. Drinking lemon juice can help get rid of the pain caused by gallstones while at the same time reduce your cholesterol levels. Extract the juice from a fresh lemon and mix it with 2 to 3 spoons of olive oil. Drink this solution daily.
- Apple cider vinegar. Another home remedy that will help reduce gallstones is apple cider vinegar. The ACV is acidic in nature which can inhibit cholesterol production of the liver. It is also capable of dissolving gallstones and reducing the pain that comes with it. Add one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of apple juice and drink it when pain from your gallstones occur. You can also mix a teaspoon of lemon juice with two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in a glass of warm water and drink it first thing in the morning while your stomach is empty.
- Wine. Wine drinkers will find this home remedy right up their alley. For one thing, drinking half a cup of wine daily has been found to be quite effective in reducing the sizes of gallstones. However, make sure that you do not exceed the recommended amount as too much wine can have an adverse effect to your health.
- Vegetable juice. If you have been diagnosed with gallstones, it is important that you reduce your intake of foods that are either fried or high in fat content. If you want to alleviate this health issue, try to follow a diet that is mostly vegetable and fruit juices. You can combine beet root, carrots, and cucumber for your vegetable juice to help treat gallstones. Extract the juice from one cucumber, one beet root, and four medium carrots. Mix them together and drink it twice a day. You should follow this treatment for two weeks to see a marked improvement in your condition.
- Pear juice. Pear contains high amounts of pectin which has been found to help reduce gallstones. To use this treatment, get a fresh pear and remove its skin. Squeeze the fruit to extract its juice. Add hot water to the pear juice. You can even add some honey to increase the benefits you can get from it. You should drink this solution several times within the day.