Over the years, women have learned to sport varied hairstyles. While in the past,men liked a woman’s hair to be straight and long, nowadays, we have learned to play with our hair and embrace other styles, length, and color. However, one thing remains a fact – we always like it shiny.
You have a healthy hair when the outer layer has sufficient oil that keeps the hair moisturized, leaving it shiny. Your hair will look dry and dull when this layer is damaged. There are different causes of hair damage.Some are illness, deficiencies in essential nutrients, use of hair products that are full of harsh chemicals, overexposure to sun, age, too much stress, chlorine in water, and overuse of heating tools.
Aside from making sure that we don’t suffer from essential nutritional deficiencies, it’s a must that we give our hair proper care. You have to remember that proper care doesn’t mean using more products on your hair. Excessive use of these products can do more harm than good overtime, since they contain a lot of harmful substances and chemicals. So instead of buying products in the beauty aisle, you can go natural with these natural ingredients and easy recipes.
Here are the top10 home treatments to get that cove table smooth and shiny hair for both women and men.
1. Coconut Oil
It’s no longer a secret that coconut oil can nourish your hair and make it smooth and silky. What coconut oil does is it repairs dull and dry hair by restoring moisture. It’s best to use unrefined and organic coconut oil. You can easily find this in the supermarket.
You can do either or both of the following home treatments once or twice a week:
- Before using your shampoo and conditioner, apply warm coconut oil from the roots to the ends of your hair evenly. Rub and massage until you have covered all areas, and then wrap your hair in a shower cap for at least 30 minutes to let the hair absorb it very well. After, rinse it off, then put your usual shampoo and conditioner.
- If you have some curry leaves in your pantry, you can add them to two tablespoons of coconut oil, and heat it. When it’s cooled down, massage it gently allover your scalp and hair, then wrap with a warmtowelfor30 minutes before rinsing with a mild shampoo.
Coconut oil is the most famous oil to be used on hair, but you can also follow the same procedures with olive oil, almond oil, or castor oil.
2. Aloe Vera Gel
Aside from the moisturizing properties of aloe vera, it also possesses antioxidants, vitamins, and other compounds that are good for your hair. Aloe vera gel has been used not only to correct frizzy hair but to also help diminish dandruff.
You can do either or both of the following home treatments using an aloe vera gel once or twice a week:
- Mix four tablespoons of aloe vera gel, two tablespoons of coconut oil, and three tablespoons of yogurt until it reaches a paste-like consistency. Wet your hair and apply the paste evenly. After leaving it on for about 30 minutes, wash it carefully with lukewarm water.
- Crush a few hibiscus flowers using a grinder, and mix it altogether with half a cup of aloe vera gel and one teaspoon of olive ail. The consistency and texture should be that of a thick paste. Put this on your hair and leave it one for 20 to 30 minutes before rinsing off.
Because honey is a natural humectant, it is perfect for hair use. It helps the hair absorbs moisture, resulting to a soft and shiny locks.
You can do any or both of the following up to twice a week:
- Add two tablespoons of honey in two cups of warm water, and mix thoroughly. Transfer the mixture in a spray bottle. After using your shampoo, you can use this solution on your hair. Simply spray it on your hair, and carefully massage it onto your scalp for a good five minutes. Leave it on, and wash it off with warmwaterafter15 minutes.
- You may also pour some honey on your conditioner and apply it as a regular conditioner.
Eggs, being a good source of protein, also improve the health of your hair. Together with fatty acids and lecithin, they may help treat your damaged and dry hair through moisturizing naturally. Aside from adding shine to your hair, eggs also make the strands of your hair thick and strong. Needless to say, eggs are one of the best home remedies to a healthier hair. It’s also cheap and very accessible.
Follow any of these remedies once a week:
- Create a smooth paste with a mixture of one egg white, one tablespoon of olive oil, and one tablespoon of honey. Apply this on your damp hair as well as your scalp, gently massage, and then cover it with a shower cap for30 minutes. Using cool water,wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
- Beat two eggs until the blend becomes foamy. Add two tablespoons of almond oil and half cup of yogurt, and mix carefully. Apply this evenly on your hair and scalp, cover with a shower cap to leave for30 minutes, and shampoo your hair with cool water.
Unlike other treatments, when using eggs, never rinse your hair with hot water.It will be difficult to wash eggs completely off your hair with hot water.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
Lately, apple cider vinegar has been used to boost metabolism and digestion, but it’s actually a great product for your hair as well. As a hair conditioner, it can make your hair stand out by keeping it moisturized, adding life to your hair by getting rid of built-up residue that gives a dull texture, and treating dandruff and itchy scalp.
Do any of these once a week:
- Mix the same amount of apple cider vinegar and water. After you shampoo, apply the mixture all throughout your hair and massage it onto your scalp. Leave it one for a few minutes then carefully wash it off with cold water.
- Squeeze one lemon and mix the juice with two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar and one cup of water.After shampooing, this can be your final rinse.
Aside from making your hair soft and shiny, because it contains plenty of lactic acid, yogurt has antibacterial and antifungal properties that help cleanse your scalp and avoid further infections.
Do the following hair treatment once a week:
- Using a wide-tooth comb, brush your hair thoroughly before spreading plain yogurt on your hair evenly. Cover your hair with a shower cap, and let the yogurt sit in for about 30 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water.Afterwards, put shampoo and conditioner on your hair as usual.
Mayonnaise on your hair sounds icky, but when done intentionally, it can actually be great. Mayonnaise contains amino acids and antioxidants that will leave your hair soft and shiny. It’s also high in protein, and this will make your hair strong and overall healthy.
Do this treatment weekly:
- Use half to one cup of full-fat mayonnaise, depending on the length and thickness of your hair. Apply it generously on your damp hair, and cover it with a shower cap for 30 minutes. Wash your hair carefully with cold water and apply shampoo.
Avocado can be used as a good treatment for dull and damaged hair. It is full of nutrients that can moisturize the hair deeply, leaving it smooth and shiny.
Do any of these once a week,or if your hair is stubborn, you can do this up to twice a week:
- Mash one ripe avocado and blend it well with two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Put on this mixture on your freshly washed hair from roots to ends. Cover it with a shower cap for half an hour before rinsing and shampooing.
- Alternatively, you can mix together one mashed ripe avocado and one mashed ripe banana. Pour in half tablespoon of almond oil and mix into the paste.Massage and rub this all over your hair and onto you scalp . Cover it with a shower cap and let it sit onfor30 minutes. Wash it exhaustively with lukewarm water before shampooing.
Gelatin possesses hydrolyzed protein that is capable of treating damaged hair. It makes your hair silky smooth and shiny.
Do this once a week:
- Put in one tablespoon of gelatin in one cup of warm water. Mix slowly until the gelatin dissolves completely. Pour in one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and add a few drops of lavender essential oil. Stir them carefully to make sure that all ingredients are nicely mixed together. Apply the mixture allover your hair and scalp. Leaveitonfor10 minutes and wash it with lukewarm water.
Yes, you read that right. Beer can be used as an awesome hair tonic. The proteins in beer can help treat damaged hair cuticles and nourish the hair follicles. This results to your healthy hair that’s silky and shiny.
However, like a disciplined person, be careful not to overdo and overuse it. Do the following treatment only once in two weeks:
- After washing your hair with shampoo, apply flat beer and let it simmer from roots to ends. Massage and rub it gently onto your scalp in a circular motion. Leave it on for five minutes and rinse it off thoroughly.
More Tips to Achieve Healthy and Shiny Hair:
- Don’t be too aggressive when brushing your hair, and avoid brushing your hair while it’s still wet as it can cause damage.
- Be a conscious shopper and learn how to read labels. Choose products with natural and organic ingredients and less chemicals. This does not only goes to for shampoo and conditioner but also with the different styling products that you use, no matter how seldom.
- Don’t use the straightener too frequent. When exposed to heat so much, your hair will be dry and dull.
- Avoid shampooing your hair daily, as it can also cause dryness.
- On the other hand, make sure to regularly condition your hair to keep it moisturized.
- Trim off split ends so they wouldn’t extend up the hair strands.
- Avoid overexposure to the sun.•Eat a healthy and well-balanced diet and drink lots of water.